Ay, it’s THAT time of year again. You know the one I mean – where everybody under the sun starts to make new year’s resolutions. I doubt I’ll surprise you all by saying mine aren’t the usual go on the cabbage soup diet/do some big cleanse of real food/join a gym&go every day for 2hours/find world peace. Ooooh Noooo!
Although it’d be nice to find world peace, it’s not on my To-Do list for 2011. Maybe 2012? We’ll see how it goes. But yeah, my 2011 resolution-type-things:
1) Learn how to use my camera properly! Gah, I sooo want to be able to take proper fancy photos, and I am sitting on the equipment; I just haven’t learnt how to use it to my advantage yet See, ze preblemo iz – Ah ‘aaate learneen zee technishizzle! ISO, shutter speeds, P, A, etc etc. It’s so darn confuzzling! I tend to just stick to my pre-programmed automatic settings – But this year, this year it ALL changes. I will learn how to take good photos!!! First step – buy a cheapo second hand camera-workings-for-fools book 😀
2) Graduate. Just one…more…6monthperiod…to..get…through…then I’m DONE! I can go from being a jobless, penniless student, to being a jobless, penniless bum. It’ll be great! At least for the 5days or so I have to spare, then I’ll be off to summer camp to work, but whateverz.
3) Cook properly more. I cook and stuff – but I’m very rarely imaginative, or use recipes, or venture out of my comfort zones. 2011 will be the year where it all changes! I want to make use of all my tons and tons of recipe books and bookmarked tabs and wonderful blogs, and go mad. My kitchen won’t know what hit it 😀
4) Watch Grey’s Anatomy Season 5. That’s a deep resolution isn’t it?? Well not really – I love GA, I just have yet to get round to watching that season, which is dumb, cos a) I love it, b) I miss it and c) I said so.
Oh gosh – only 4 down, and I’m stuck! I’d love to write goals like run another half marathon in xyz time, but I can’t commit to one – I’ll be flying off to the States in June, and from March onwards, I know I won’t want any extra stressors (exams do enough for the both of us…if that makes sense :/). So that really only gives me 3months to train and run one from now…and I’m not sure (right now) how much I want to do one. Ha. This time next week I’ll probz be blogging about having entered one – bah!
I have some more!
5) Be more patient. I’ve seen this on a number of blogs, and I really think I need to jump on the bandwagon. i have a tendency to lose my temper, snap at people, and get irritated by the smallest things. Maybe 2011 is the year to say ‘deep breath, count to 10……..’ and deal!
6) Run a fast(er) 5k. Now, I’m not really setting an official time, like sub10minutes or whatever, cos I don’t want the pressure. BUT I do want to do a fast one! I’ve never done one sub-25minutes, so I’m guessing under that as a 1st goal, and then we’ll see 😛
7) Find a new hobby. You know I was reading a Jodie Picoult book today, and it was banging on about an American Indian bloke and his heritage. It sounded very, very fascinating…all their little tales and stories that explain their world – i liked it! Maybe learning more about that?
At the moment, that’s where I’m at – but no doubt I’ll come up with more soon enough 😀
In the spirit of ‘that time of year again’-ness, I was gonna do a big ol’ recap of the year post. However, I’m crap at organisation on this blog. I spent about an hour late one evening going through my posts this year, got to February, realised I’d a) spent AGES doing it, and was only 1/6th of the way through, b) had linked to about 20 different pages already and c) … there is no c). It just sounds better 🙂 SO – I don’t have a summary! But briefly, the highlights:
– I did 3 half marathons (go to my running page for links)
– I survived my 2nd year uni exams (a miracle in itself, especially the week that went like this – Mon: exam. Tues: exam. Weds: exam. Thurs: Turn 20. Fri: exam. Yeah.)
– I flew to Chicago and attended the Healthy Living Summit, resulting in the best weekend of my entire life
– I flew to Washington DC and ran my first marathon
– and plenty of other stuff 😀
Short and sweet 🙂
Now back to the regular bloggy bloggerness!
I can’t remember what it was marinated in, but I know it involved balsamic vinegar and Italian-y herbs, and I know it was darn awesome 😀
Other good food? A meal out at a brand spanking new Vegetarian restaurant just a 20minute car ride away:
That would be grilled fig, with hallou…cheese and leaves (I shared with my mum – I didn’t have the chez)
For main –
Parsnip, chestnut and cranberry terrine!!! OOOHHH my days. With parsnip crisps on top! And a whole parsnip! To. Die. For.
Slightly less fancy – but equally delicious – regular eats:
Pumpkin oats (steel cut baby!):
Bathed in extra soya milk 😀
Trader Joe’s peanut flour steel cut oats:
Vegetable stew (quite possibly my favourite eat…):
And this rather peculiar bar, that I picked up at the airport in Washington:
It was….odd. 9g of protein (win), but somewhat synthetic tasting, despite having an ok-looking ingredients list. The jury is out on these bars *strokes beard*
Now for my PLEA!
Look what happened today:
Yes – that’s an EMPTY Trader Joe’s peanut flour bag!! Why do I care so much?
Hello, a heck of a lot of vegan protein that isn’t soy and tastes like peanut butter 😀 Need I say more?
I knew this day was coming, and I’d been dreading it. Thankfully, Freya-shopping-in-Washington-in-October also knew this would happen, and bought two bags to be prepared, so I still have one :p But still – my plea is to American readers who live within shooting distance of a Trader Joe’s that sells peanut flour (I’m specific) – How about a foodie swap!? You give me peanut flour, I give you whatever you want 😀 (but within reason please – I’m not giving you the Queen, or gold leaf encrusted truffles)
How about it!!??
My email address IS on the About page, or you can leave me a comment. I am BEGGING someone out there to help me!!
And that is all.