Ooh no – do non-UK folk have chippy shops? You know, the places that do good old British fish n’ chips take away? I’m not sure…but anyway! I’m going somewhere with this, bear with me 🙂
When I was newly into double-digit age, I used to like fish n chips on a Friday – twas tradition. One thing put me off though – the sheer amount of GREASE and FAT! (In fact, I’ve read on numerous occasions that the fish n chip take away done the traditional way is the worst take away you can have, health/calories/fat wise) After I’d eaten a big plateful, I could almost feel the oil seeping through my skin and I’d feel tremendously bloated and heavy…not pleasant. In an attempt to be healthier, I had oven chips occasionally. Not really the same though, yaaannnae? They lack that summin’ summin’…the crispiness? Who knows. (In fact, the oven chips we have in the freezer are currently used either to cool down the cool box when we need ice, or to ice injured feet/hands/backs/whatever. That’s how much we don’t care for oven chips!)
Now – this is still on the same point, so do keep following 😀 – I’m not a big fan of endless product placement on blogs; it bugs me (ok, maybe it’s jealousy…but whateverz). BUT I do like me a good kitchen gadget – Vincent the VitaMix, blenders, hand held blenders, juicers (that break after 2months….never again), coffee frothers (mk, it’s my mumma’s, and I haven’t used it before), slow cookers, coffee makers….you get the idea. So despite my dislike of product placement, I sure did JUMP at the chance to review the thing that fell through my letter box last Friday……..
…..a kitchen gadget! A super cool one!
It claims to cook 1kg of chips (one THOUSAND grams!) in just 1tbsp of oil, resulting in that crispy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside thing that often comes with deep frying. Excited much!!??
Soo tonight, as it was just my mumma and I, we decided to test it out…I used 500g white potatoes (2 peeps don’t need 1kg), and cut them into chip size pieces:
Then put them in the machine with some salt, 1/2 tbsp oil, mixed it up, set the timer to 25mins, and boom!
Sit back and wait 🙂
Oh boy, that’s one heck of a dark photo…I MUST start using my camera properly! boo hiss.
(I used my mum’s plate as an example cos she had fish and purple Brussels grown by my aunt, thus creating a prettier picture :D)
Impressive!!! Slightly crispy outer, very soft inner. They were maybe not as crispy as we were expecting…BUT the potatoes I used were ‘white potatoes, suitable for anything but best for boiling’….hence not IDEAL! The booklet the machine comes with recommends the sort you use, soooo I can imagine they could be better. BUT saying that – they were really, really delicious! The flavour was great, they weren’t too oily or too dry – just perfect – and were far, FAR superior to any oven chip. They certainly did remind me of proper fish n chip shop chips – you know, that warm comfort-y type taste!!? – but without the heaviness and grease. I’ll be using the machine again for sure 😀
- easy to use machine. Seriously! Open lid, put chips in, press timer button, press start -> done.
- easy to clean – dishwasher proof (phew)
- Quick – the chips I made only took 25mins! And no stirring or anything required – I literally just left it to do its’ thaaaang.
- versatile – you can cook vegetables, meats, fish….really, the machine takes loads of stuff! In fact…
- ….the handy recipe book shows ya what you can do:
- the chips maybe weren’t AS crispy as they could be – but then the booklet says the sort of potato to use (I didn’t use the exact right sort), and it also says that if you add a bit extra oil, you’ll get better flavour.
- there was a slight smell when it first started cookin’, but as my mum said ‘ that’s just new appliance smell’. And it went pretty quick (or my nose stopped being able to smell :p)
- it makes a noise. But er…so do a lot of things :p (ever tried blending frozen fruit and cereal? BoOoOOO YAH that’s a noise if you ever want one!)
- price – it IS a bit on the pricey side, BUT there is so much you can do with it that it’s kinda worth it 🙂
Overall? I like it 🙂
*This opinion is 100% my own – I was not told to say positive or negative things about the machine; my task was purely to eat chips and say what I thought 🙂
Right! Onto some other random eats :p
Frozen grapes, Grape Nuts, cranberry blended banana cereal milk mix – dang awesome after a 10mile run on Sunday 😀
Three words for you – peanut butter roast parsnip chunks. (ok, five – but three sounds better). it’s been SO long since I’d had any, and ohemgee had I forgotten what I was missing!! One giiiiiaaanntttt mouthgasm!
Oop! More blended cranberry cereal :p The spoon is there to illustrate the sheer thickness of this beast 😀
More frozen grapes – I’m addicted.
And finally – the long-awaited return of the yogurt-cereal mess!!! Since I’ve been trying to cut down on soy, I stopped having soy yogurt – but when I saw it today in Budgens…well, it called to me. And y’all know I don’t refuse the call of food! 😛
Oh! Talking of today, this it totes random, but I had THE wettest 5mile run in the history of runs. Just thought I’d put that out there! I was proud I even braved it (seriously, my BRA was wet at the end!), so I wanted tell you all (or show off, your call).
The luuurverly Chelsey did a post about this the other day, and it reminded me – I haven’t mentioned this in ages! I used to do so quite frequently, then I…well, didn’t. SO, without further adieu – my most recent weird search engine terms that crazy folk have used to get to my blog!
– the granola dentists
– freya little canning town, lon (I’m a canning town!? First, Goddess of Fertility, now a canning town…well I never.)
– hannah yee
– in brit chicks what makes jean pears (eh?)
– what is jp favourite toppings on brit chick (eh? x 2)
– “healthy living” and “horses” (<- aaah, the perfect search term to find my blog! Love.)
– honey monster vs mr blobby (wtf?)
– he’s my boy
– dead mouse in soup (2 people found my blog by searching for that….)
– katheats, hurtful comments (whaaaaat?? Why? I’ve never been mean to Kath!)
– how chicks should look (yeah baby :D)
– ugly muffin recipe
– brit chick runs i miss your daily posts (awh!!)
– xxx swop wifes 40 moves (no, I don’t get that either)
– kate moss smoking (I get a loooottt of links from people searching Kate Moss :s)
Annnd my favourite:
– hot cinnamon whiskey dragon
ha! I’m gutted I haven’t been checking these terms regularly, cos oooooh my gosh, there are some good ones sometimes! Note to self: Must. Keep. Checking.
Right – i’m off to go eat more chips. Later gators.